Friday, November 15, 2013

November 5, 2013

Hello Fam!

So sorry I did not write you yesterday, and sorry my e-mail last week was so inadequate!  I should have warned you that it was transfers!  I no longer reside in Corvallis, I am now in an adorable little town on the coast known as Brookings.  It's in the very bottom left-hand corner of Oregon, I actually had to drive through California to get here!  First time in the CA woot!  I even got to drive through Redwood National Park!  SO GORGEOUS......

Yeah I was definitely blessed yesterday.  I woke up at five, left Corvallis at six, rode the transfer van to Grants Pass, got there around noon, then drove with Brother Griffith to Brookings, arriving at about two.  My new companion is Elder Mock from Kansas, I'm follow-up training him, but he's very mature and responsible so I probably have a lot more to learn from him.  I also got released as District Leader! (deep sigh of relief) I got to meet some of our investigators who are on date for baptism, Maya and Renee.  Maya is twelve, and is very intelligent, Renee wasn't feeling well, but she came down at the end to pray with us and is really nice.  So is her mom, Jean (they all live together, as well as a ton of other random people).  I met some members and the Ward Mission Leader, and they're all awesome.

Brookings Fun Facts: While most of Oregon's coast gets very cold in winter, Brookings stays very moderate due to some complicated wind inversion thing caused by the angle the Chetko river enters the ocean.
My whole mission up till now has been in the Willamette Valley (referred to by the Indians as the valley of sickness), and I just crossed the Coastal Range to enter the bizarrely named Illinois Valley.

I'm definitely enjoying the new glasses, but the driving privileges are iffy.  I never knew how bad of a driver I was till I became constantly monitored by the dreaded tiwi.  I was recently informed by the vehicle coordinator that my driving score is a 1.4 (or something) out of 5 and if I got another violation my driving privileges would be revoked. - n -  It's not that I'm reckless, Mom, I just have really poor handling skills.

I'm going to steal from Brittany and share a new favorite scripture.  As members and missionaries it is our duty to do all that we can do.  We must improve ourselves daily through careful study of the word of God, and through constant prayer, and we must reach out to those who are in want of things spiritual and physical, and to share what we have with them.  This is how we serve our Lord and King.

Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed. (Doctrine and Covenants 123:17)


Some things lie outside of our power, and we have to learn to not worry about those things.  When we feel unsure of where we are and wish that things were easier, we would do well to remember the advice of Gandalf the Grey when he said, "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.  All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."  Choose to do the very best with the time that is given to you.  Time is so precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment